Reflections “Heroes Around Me” (2018 - 2019) Due: October 18th
See previous year’s awards
Is your child creative, artistic or musical? Does your child like to dance, sing, paint, draw, take photographs, play an instrument, and/or write stories or poems? Then this is the program for them. Encourage their growth by having them participate in the PTA Reflections Program. The Reflections Program is designed to provide opportunities for students to express themselves and to receive positive recognition for their artistic efforts. Each year, the PTA Reflections Program challenges students to create art inspired by a specific theme. The 2018–2019 theme is “Heroes around me”.
We hosted "Art Afternoon" Sep 17th, during lunch recess, to kick off Gomes’s Reflections program. Check with your kid to know what he/she did during the art afternoon and discuss about this years Reflection theme. Please provide all the time, space, essential things, love and attention so that the kid enjoy working on his/her piece of art.
Student submissions are due by Thursday, October 18th in the Multi Purpose Room. Trust me this date is really closer than you think and really closer than in the previous years. If your child is interested have them start now. Starting Monday October 15th a box and portfolio will be in the Multi purpose room to turn work in. We will try to be present in the mornings and after school of that week to answer packaging questions. Some packaging supplies will be on hand.
The program has six arts areas: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts and all grades from Transitional Kinder – 6th grade can enter.
By submitting an artwork to the “National PTA Reflections Program,” entrants accept and agree to be bound by the official rules for participation as well as the entry requirements for their specific arts category and division. Additional state program requirements may apply. Any violation of these rules may, at PTA’s discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the reviewers regarding this program are final and binding in all respects. (The “PTA” referred to in these rules include all PTAs reviewing the submission).
- ELIGIBILITY. Students must participate through a local PTA/PTSA. Each student’s eligibility is determined by the state and local
PTA/PTSA. A student may develop an entry inside or outside of school.
- ARTS CATEGORIES. There are six arts categories—dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition,
photography and visual arts. Students may enter the National PTA Reflections Program in one or more arts categories. See each
arts category rules for additional entry requirements.
- GRADE DIVISIONS. Students may enter in the appropriate division for their grade (Primary: Preschool-Grade 2; Intermediate:
Grades 3-5; Middle School: Grades 6-8; High School: Grades 9-12; Special Artist: All grades welcome).
The Special Artist Division welcomes students from all grades and abilities and offers non-artistic accommodations (e.g.
adaptive technology; transcribing; holding a camera) for students to participate fully in PTA Reflections. Assistants must refrain
from being involved in the artistic process (e.g. developing an artist statement, choreography, music lyrics, storyboards, etc.)
Student recognition and awards are announced as part of the Special Artist Division.
- HOW TO ENTER. Entrants must submit their artwork and student entry form to their local PTA/PTSA program according to local
and state PTA procedures. Entrants must follow requirements and instructions specific to each arts category and division.
Contact local PTA programs for deadlines and additional information.
- ENTRY REQUIREMENTS. (All participants must also follow arts category and if applicable, Special Artist Division rules)
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the current year’s theme may be submitted.
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only. An adult may not alter the creative integrity of a student’s work. Because the program is designed to encourage and recognize each student’s individual creativity, help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division. Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’s work, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student only. Only one student may be recognized as the award recipient for each entry. See the specific arts category rules and special artist division rules for details.
- Each entry must contain a title and all entries must include an artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme, and the content of the work. The statement must include at least 10 words and not exceed 100 words.
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for background music in dance choreography and film production entries. If used in dance choreography and film production entries, background music must be cited on the entry form. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use of PowerPoint templates are prohibited.
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the current year’s theme may be submitted.
- FINALIST SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. Entries are reviewed at local, regional, state and national levels. Each PTA determines
its own reviewers for the program. Entries will be reviewed primarily on how well the student uses their artistic vision to portray
the theme, their originality and creativity. The National PTA Reflections ® program makes no restrictions on content or subject
matter in artwork. Under no condition may parents or students contact a reviewer to dispute the status/score of any entry.
Each PTA in its sole discretion will select finalists for exhibition and provide awards/prizes. Awards are announced per local and
state procedures. National awards and events are announced May 1, 2019 at PTA.org/Reflections.
- OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. Ownership in any submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this program
constitutes entrant’s irrevocable permission and consent that PTA may display, copy, reproduce, enhance, print, sublicense,
publish, distribute and create derivative works for PTA purposes. PTA is not responsible for lost or damaged entries. Submission
of entry into the PTA Reflections program constitutes acceptance of all rules and conditions.
- PARTICIPATING ENTITIES. This program is administered by the National Parent Teacher Association (PTA) and PTA affiliates.
Parent groups not affiliated with National PTA are not eligible to sponsor this program.
CATEGORY SPECIFIC RULES:
- Dance Choreography: Solo and ensemble works of all dance styles are accepted. Entrant must be the choreographer and
may also be the performer, or one of the performers. If background music is used, cite it on the entry form. Video file
must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4.
- Film Production: Accepted short film styles include: Animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or media
presentation. Use of PowerPoint is prohibited. Entrant must be the screenwriter, cinematographer, editor and producer.
If background music is used, cite it on the entry form. Video file must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted
formats: AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4.
- Literature: Accepted forms of fiction and nonfiction include: Prose, poetry, reflective essay, screen play and play script,
narrative and short story. Entrants may write in their primary language as long as an interpretive English translation is
also attached. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Writing must not exceed 2,000 words and may be handwritten
or typed. Accepted formats: Single-sided print on 8 ½x11” paper, PDF file.
- Music Composition: All music styles and combinations of instrumentation are accepted. Entrant must be the composer
and may also be the performer, or one of the performers. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Audio file must not
exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, ACC, FLAC. Notation (score/tablature) in PDF
format is only required for middle and high school divisions.
- Photography: Photo must be a single print/digital image. Collages and collections of photos are not accepted. Entrant
must be the photographer and may use a variety of digital editing techniques including but not limited to, multiple
exposure, negative sandwich and photogram. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Print image dimensions must be
no smaller than 3x5 inches and no larger than 8x10 inches. Accepted print formats: Mounted on mat or poster board no
larger than 11x14 inches. Framed prints are not accepted. Digital image dimensions must be at least 640x960 (pixels)
and 300 dpi (resolution). Accepted file formats: JPEG, JPG, GIF, PNG.
- Visual Arts: Works of both fine and design arts are accepted, including but not limited to: architectural drawing and
models, ceramics, collage, computer generated images and graphics, crafts, drawing, fashion clothes and jewelry, fiber
work, mixed media, painting, printmaking and sculpture. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. 2D artworks must be
mounted on sturdy material and no larger than 24x30 inches with matting. Framed entries are not accepted. Include one
digital image of artwork with your submission. 3D artwork submissions must contain 3 digital images of artwork at
different angles. Image(s) are used for artwork identification, judging and exhibition purposes.
HOW TO ENTER / HOW TO PRINT THE ENTRY FORM:
- You may need to come to this section, only when the kids art work is ready to submit.
- Once the kids art work is ready and ready to submit, please click on the google form link below and enter all the details including your email address and submit it. Please double check your email address as this is very IMPORTANT.
Google Form Link
Once you submit the form, please check your Inbox/Trash folder for an email from email@example.com with subject "Form Publisher - kids first name kids last name artwork name". This email will have the pre-filled entry form as a pdf attachment.
- Print this entry form and have the student and parent sign it.
- Submit the signed entry form along with the work at the Multi purpose room Starting Monday October 15th through Thursday October 18th.
- All art work should accompany an entry form. So, please submit 1 google form form per art work.